Millions of domain names are purchased from domain name registration servers every month. Many will be built into web sites or blog, others will quickly be forgotten and left to be expired, while others will hold a certain value to others and may be acquired or sold at a later date.
The process of buying and selling domains is an exciting one, but only a handful of domains will ever successfully sell for several thousands of dollars… and even fewer will ever reach that elusive $1,000,000 mark.
As we make our way into the 4th quarter of 2015, we should take some time to look back at the biggest domain sales of the first eight months of the year available through the infographic below.
Top Selling Domain Names of 2015 Infographic Summary
Once a domain name is registered, it’s owned for life. Just like real estate in the offline world, domain names are the same type of property… just on the internet. The more generic the domain, the better the property and the higher the value it can demand. With nearly all of the generic and exact match .com domain names already taken, these are usually the most lucrative domains to be purchased, built up and sold — some even fetching as much as a few million dollars!
- Porno.com was recently sold for over $8 million dollars and is the 4th highest selling domain name of all time
- 345.com was sold for a high $800,000 figure through MostWantedDomains
- The domain name NL.com was acquired for $575,000 through Heritage Domains services
- SX.com sold for a just over a half million dollars through NameJet
- QE.com is a two-letter domain name that was sold for $554,000 through eNaming and MediaOptions
While the year is quickly coming to a close, there is still plenty of time to see if another few big domain sales will take place before the year ends.