The growth of affiliate marketing over the past two decades has been quite amazing. As the $4 billion dollar affiliate marketing industry continues to grow, so does online e-commerce in general. In short, the two go hand-in-hand.
While the concept of e-commerce and online shopping may have originated back in 1979, the concept of affiliate marketing first came about in 1994. Ever since, the two have been inseparable and are both responsible for the continued success of each other and why we keep seeing online spending going through the roof year after year.
To truly understand the sheer power and growth of affiliate marketing, you must take the time to look through the “Growth of Affiliate Marketing in E-Commerce” infographic below.
Growth of Affiliate Marketing in E-Commerce Infographic Summary
- Michael Aldrich invents the concept of online shopping in 1979
- E-commerce sales are growing at a staggering pace of more than 19% a year and will likely surpass $1.4 trillion in 2015 In 2012 we saw online retail sales of $225.5 billion, while in 2017 it’s expected for us to see how $434.2 billion in sales
- The major driving forces behind the growth in e-commerce are the massive amount of people getting online around the world, smartphone and tablets making it easy for anyone to always be online and increased spending in online advertising
- CDNow launches the first affiliate program back in 1994
- Amazon launches their associates program in 1996, which contributes to their massive growth and reign as the number one online shopping site
- Amazon.com, eFlorist, Beauty Encounter, ABT and ShopWiki are all huge case studies for the success of affiliate marketing and e-commerce
- Every year, more brands and web sites are implementing affiliate marketing into their businesses to expand their promotions, reach and sales to new levels.
As you can see, the growth of affiliate marketing and e-commerce continues to expand well beyond expectations and it’s safe to say this trend is only going to continue.
Infographic source: Dekh