Without question, the internet is a gigantic place, which is also getting bigger and bigger every single day. So, it is not surprising that the number of internet domain names is also pretty large. As of February 2017, there were 195.43 million domains registered in the web. What about now? The numbers have, for sure, increased by, at least, a million for now. Amazing, right? You can always check the latest domain statistics online.
Did you know that Apple.com was the 64th domain registered on the internet? Or, did you know that Domains were free for registration before 1995? That is right, the domain owners of those times got pretty lucky! Website builder Australia presents more fascinating facts about domain names you most probably didn’t know.
For now, let’s have a look at 21 most insane facts about domain names, that would be cool to know for sharing with your pals. Follow through!
- LasVegas.com is currently the world’s most expensive domain name, with the value of $90.000.000. What a value! The top site for Las Vegas travel deals owns the domain from 2005 to 2040.
- Google.com was supposed to be Googol.com.
- HSBC.web, JohnLewis.web and Burberry.web are not owned by their respective companies.
- Trump was the trending keyword in .com and .net registrations in January, 2017. Well, that is a little not surprising, huh?
- Apple did not own apple.com.uk until 2012.
- Twitter got hold of twitter.com.au only in 2015.
- Test, Invalid, Example, local, localhost are a few words that can’t be registered as domain names. Just so you know!
- In April, 2012, Mike Mann registered 14,962 domains in 24 hours.
- You can still register Soviet Union .su domains. Surprisingly or not surprisingly?
- By 2017, there are 2952 ICANN accredited registrars like Godaddy.com.
- Google’s official URL shortcut name is g.co. Domain Names Shortage! What could they do?
- .io (the British Indian Ocean Territory) is commonly used by tech companies.
- .dj (Djibouti) is used for CD merchants and disc jockeys (DJs).
- Longest gTLD is 18 characters – .northwesternmutual
- One domain with nTLD (general strings) is registered in China for every 57 internet users.
- Approximately 13% of daily .com registrations are comprised of short, five-to-six-character domain names.
- Domains are usually registered for 1 to 10 years, but with Network Solutions you can register a domain for 20 to 100 years.
- TV (Tuvalu) is used for the television/entertainment industry.
- Regions Bank, US with 1700branches forgot to renew their domain in 2013.
- .Spreadbetting is the most expensive ngTLD with a fine price of $30,000.
- Currently, more than 1500 valid TLDs are available.
How was it? Were you surprised at most of them? We bet you were! But did you manage to remember all of them? Well, take your time! We know that they will definitely be of use for you in impressing your pals with your insane knowledge!
Infographic Source: WebsiteBuilderAU.com